Sunday, June 14, 2009

IT'S THE BIG 8-0......WHAT A WAY TO GO!!!

June 16 will be a landmark day for my mom. She will be 80 years young on that date.

(Pictured is Alison, Kitty, Becki and mom).


Born to Addie Mae (Joh) Powell and Orange Powell, mom was the youngest of twelve and was christened "Bessie Mae", after grandmother's favorite sister. This is a name my motherly dearly hated and has always been known as "Beck".


Mom married my dad, Harold, on August 2, 1947. Dad was a trucker and mother was responsible for raising two girls, keeping the home fires burning and fixing and repairing whatever broke during dad's absence. Dad died in October 2002 and mom's training as a "single parent" really paid off for her. She lives alone, mows eleven acres with her tractor and hand mower each week, keeps her own house and raises Hibiscus flowers as a hobby. She learned to knit at age 73 and is well-known for her abilities with a sewing machine. Each Wednesday she volunteers at the Wabash Food Pantry and is an active member of Dora Christian Church.




I'm not sure who is blowing those candles the hardest.....mom or
Gabrielle!!!



Alison gave grandma a new decorative flag to hang beside her house.





As usual, my mouth is open and my eyes half-closed in a picture! But, the rest of the group is looking good.
My son, ryan, his daughters Dani (in orange shirt), Gabi and Izi.




My daughter Kitty with Alison (age 2.5) and Mimi BeBe (as the kids call her). I don't think mom was taking a nap in this pic, but I won't swear to it! Ha















We have spent much of our life being the 3 Musketeers. Dad was home on weekends only. This is me, my sister Cindy and mother.







Mother only has one sibling still living and that is Uncle Guy. He is 20 months older than mom and they have been best buds for eighty years. When these two get together, you know stories will be flying and laughter will be plentiful!









HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND UNCLE GUY WITH MANY MORE !!!!
WE LOVE YA !!!



No comments: